Laying of double tracks on the Montcada i Reixac-Vic stretch of Line 3 of Catalonia's Suburban Railways
- Mobility and accessibility
Improvement of the railway infrastructures in the municipality, including actions that contribute towards integrating them into the urban fabric. This project represents the improvement of a line that to date has functioned in a very irregular way, because it only has one track for the two directions.
Marta Bunyesch i Martimpé, head of the Projects and Works Service at Montcada i Reixac Town Council.
- Laying of double tracks between Montcada i Reixac and Vic on line R3 of the Rodalies de Catalunya suburban train line, which reaches Puigcerdà.
- Undertaking of other measures that contribute towards minimising the historical urban fragmentation of Montcada i Reixac due to the different communications routes crossing through it, and towards modernising the RENFE train stations.
The action, included in the Infrastructures Master Plan 2001-2010, contemplates the laying of double tracks along the suburban trains line R3 between Montcada and Vic. This action implicitly involves the elimination of all the existing level crossings, with crossings on different levels and connection routes, as well as the closure of the perimeter along the entire line. At Montcada Bifurcació station an extension of the four platforms is proposed to a length of 200 metres along with the installation of three lifts for people with reduced mobility. At the Montcada-Manresa station a new station and a new travellers’ building have been designed. A new tunnel is planned along with two new viaducts over the banks of the Ripoll and the C17 main road, respectively. In the Mas Rampinyo neighbourhood the proposal is to eliminate the dead tracks and prolong the existing platforms, the creation of a car park and the modernisation of the passenger building.
Despite this, Montcada i Reixac Town Council, having seen the preliminary information study for the project, presented allegations to improve measures that pacify the infrastructures with the day-to-day life of Montcada i Reixac. The main claim is the covering of the line in the entire section that crosses the Mas Rampinyo neighbourhood, plus the creation of new car parks and the improvement of the main accesses to the stations, advancing the point where the track splits into two so that it does not affect certain streets, to guarantee pedestrian passage, etc.
The project was provisionally presented in the year 2008 to the municipalities affected by the passage of the tracks. Since then, the allegations presented have been under negotiation.
ECONOMIC AND TECHNICAL DATA
- Investment budget: not yet established (in allegations negotiation phase).
- Surface area affected: actions over the length of the line’s route through the municipality, passing through the stations of Montcada Bifurcació, Montcada-Manresa and Mas Rampinyo, as well as modifications to the existing tunnels and viaducts.